Recipes Without Borders
Format: Trade Paperback, 256 pages
Publisher: Ballantine Books
ISBN: 978-0-345-52836-0 (0-345-52836-0)
Pub Date: March 20, 2012
Add this item to your cart
FLAVORS FROM AROUND THE WORLD. NO PASSPORT REQUIRED.
Cilantro and chili peppers are Mexican royalty. Oregano and basil have defined Italian foods for centuries. And nothing recalls the tastes of India more than cumin and coriander. Anything from a plain chicken breast to a fresh-from-the-ocean fillet can be transformed into dozens of different ethnic dishes, and chef Jeffrey Saad is just the person to show you how.
In his cookbook debut, Saad—restaurateur and star of the Cooking Channel’s United Tastes of America—takes you on an international tour to celebrate and savor the flavors of the globe without ever leaving your kitchen.
Journeying through popular culinary hotspots from France, Italy, and Spain to India, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East, Saad breaks down the core spices that define each region’s cuisine and showcases scrumptious recipes inspired by these global palates. In addition to salads, soups, and sandwiches, Jeffrey Saad’s Global Kitchen includes
• tantalizing tapas, from Crustless Sweet Onion and Potato Spanish Tart to Crab Tostadas with Fire-Roasted Chiles and Wild Mushroom Bruschetta with Shaved Parmesan
• healthful—and delicious—vegetarian dishes, including Butternut Squash and Allspice Risotto, White Bean Soup with Rosemary Pesto, and Sweet and Spicy Chinese Long Beans
• a carnivore’s delight, including Smoked Paprika Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Beef Bourguignonne, Pork Chops with Carmelized Apples and Arugula, and Jeffrey’s signature Harissa Steak Sandwich (featured on The Next Food Network Star)
• fish lovers’ fare, from Lobster Pot Pie and Grilled Tilapia in Spicy Asian Broth to Five-Spice Shrimp Sliders and Turmeric-Grilled Scallop Pitas
• sinful desserts, including Almond-Orange-Chocolate Biscotti and Nutella Crepes
• Plus—sections on extremely delicious tacos and burritos, the bodacious beauty (and versatility) of the egg, and a multitude of pasta pleasures—with mouthwatering color photos throughout
Written with Saad’s showstopping passion for food and seasoned with helpful sidebars and cooking essentials, this easy-to-use recipe guide is a melting pot of culinary wisdom. Whether you like savory or sweet, keeping it mild or kicking up the heat, Jeffrey Saad’s Global Kitchen shows you how to eat globally and cook locally with gourmet-quality results.
Chef Jeffrey Saad is the star of United Tastes of America, which debuted on the Cooking Channel in November 2010. He is the executive chef and partner at The Grove, San Francisco's living room, offering gourmet comfort food with a twist. Enamored with food and formally trained at the Culinary Institute of America and the California Culinary Academy, Saad opened the Sweet Heat Mexican restaurant chain in San Francisco and became a partner in Pasta Pomodoro Italian Restaurants, helping to open and operate the first twelve locations in California. In 2009, he was the runner-up on season five of The Next Food Network Star. Saad's love and curiosity about different cuisines and cultures has led him on many travels: From China (where he fell in love with the art of cooking in the wok) and dozens of trips to Mexico (where he finds a new chile every time), to France (where he gets inspired to put a spin on the classics) and all throughout Spain (where he discovered his dream come true: small plates of amazing food all day long!). Although he hasn't been to his wife's native Iran or his native Lebanon, he embraces the flavors of these countries as if he had lived there. A super engaged family man, second-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, surfer and endless student, Saad lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two children.
Upgrade to the Flash 9 viewer for enhanced content, including the ability to browse & search through your favorite titles.
Click here to learn more!