Any recipe that includes cauliflower makes me a happy girl. In this dish I roast cauliflower (which is one of the easiest ways to cook it) together with Jerusalem arties (a.k.a. sunchokes), and the payoff is huge: You get great flavor and a really sexy texture. Then I add some spices. The end result is a super-special, slightly exotic side dish—with a minimum amount of effort. This is the way I like to roll
serves: 4 to 6 time: about 1 hour
MISE EN PLACE
1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
1 pound Jerusalem artichokes, cut into 1-inch dice
Extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 bunch of fresh chives, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower and Jerusalem artichokes; toss them generously with olive oil and salt.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cumin and cayenne and add it to the veggies. Toss well to thoroughly combine.
4. Spread the veggies on a baking sheet in one even layer—use two baking sheets if necessary. Roast for 20 minutes, then stir the veggies so they have the chance to brown all over, and rotate the pan to ensure even cooking. After 20 minutes, repeat this process again.
5. Roast the vegetables for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until they are brown, tender, and smell wonderful—almost like popcorn! If they aren’t lovely and brown, let them continue to roast for another few minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
6. Remove the veggies from the oven, sprinkle with chives, transfer to a serving dish, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from Cook Like a Rock Star by Anne Burrell Copyright © 2011 by Anne Burrell. Photographs Copyright © 2011 by Ben Fink. Excerpted by permission of Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
For more great lifestyle tips & recipes, sign up for our Joie de Vivre newsletter!