We’ve launched a new series called “Random Staff Interrogation” in which you’ll get the low-down on who’s who in our offices. Stay tuned every Tuesday and Thursday for a new introduction, and some surprising answers!
Today I’d like to introduce you to Verne Williams, who is an Assistant Manager in Publishing Operations. Here’s how she handled my interrogation:
1. In one sentence, how would you describe your job?
My job is about problem solving and prioritizing daily SAP tasks as part of the team working to get our books to the bookstores on time.
2. How long have you worked at Random House, and how did you get into publishing?
30 years, applied for a job with Doubleday in 81’ because I love reading.
3. What does your typical workday look like?
Keeping on top of the day to day task to meet deadlines.
4. What do you like best about your job?
My manager lets me set my own schedule and allow me to do my job with just the right amount of supervision .
5. What was your very first job?
Accounts receivable clerk.
6. If you could do any other job (in or out of publishing) what would it be?
Teaching because I love learning and enjoy passing the knowledge along.
7. Which genre do you read the most?
Mysteries and Thrillers.
8. What was your favourite childhood book or author?
A Basket of Flowers by Christoph von Schmid and favourite author was Enid Blyton.
9. What are you reading right now?
Through the Glass by Shannon Moroney
10. Which author would cause you to jump up and down with excitement upon finally getting to meet them?
Want to be introduced to other great employees? Be sure to check out these additional Random Staff Interrogations